Storytelling (choose 1 of these 2 assignment: podcast OR storytelling) (option 3)

You will write your own story about your thesis or about a marine science topic which interests you. This story will be a minimum of 250 - 500 words or 1500 - 3000 characters. 

Picture of Camille Kowalski
Sharks as a tourist attractor
by Camille Kowalski - Monday, 17 December 2018, 11:14 PM

His bad reputation of "man-eater" sticks to his skin. It is urgent, however, to change our perspective on this fragile animal that is essential to the balance of the oceans.

30 words
Picture of justin defever
My first sea turtle encounter
by justin defever - Monday, 17 December 2018, 10:44 PM

A story that led to the topic of my master's thesis

11 words
Picture of Luigi Colin
How loud are we? An Artistic take on a Noisy problem
by Luigi Colin - Monday, 17 December 2018, 5:19 PM

A story on noise, and a different way of looking at it. Aiming to make us think about less known impact we have. 

Noisy problem

Original file attached as PDF

28 words
Picture of Andrea Fariñas
The story of my life as a sea turtle in the 21st century
by Andrea Fariñas - Monday, 17 December 2018, 2:13 PM

This storytelling is about the natural and anthropogenic threats that sea turtles have to deal with nowadays since they hatch. The aim of its style is to catch the interest and transmit science to all the public, specially to the children. In my opinion, the youngest public has an important role on the conservation of marine ecosystems and even though science could be complex to understand, they should be aware about the current state with the new research outputs.

79 words
Picture of JENEVIEVE HARA
A paradise named Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park
by JENEVIEVE HARA - Monday, 17 December 2018, 1:56 AM

It is a story about Tubbataha Reefs Natural Park, a marine protected area and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Philippines.

22 words
Picture of Elena Basilio Puig
From fishing to Eco-tourism.
by Elena Basilio Puig - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 11:56 PM

A fictional story of a true event: how a community of whale-sharks fishermen ended up by switching to Eco-tourism. Inspired on my personal experience.

24 words
Picture of Jan Phillipp Geissel
Story telling - Greifswalder Oie
by Jan Phillipp Geissel - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 8:24 PM

In this short article I want to tell you the story of one of Germanys most remote islands that is a nature reserve in the Baltic Sea, a refuge for migrating birds crossing the sea and a site of special imortance for seabirds, waterbirds, seals and many more in a highly used and affected area.

55 words
Picture of Nikola Piesinger
International scientific collaboration – its importance and role in saving a species from the brink of extinction
by Nikola Piesinger - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 6:29 PM

International scientific collaboration – its importance and role in saving a species from the brink of extinction

Harbour porpoises are one of the many species listed under Annex II of the European Union Habitats Directive, requiring each member state to create Special Areas of Conservation ...

Read the rest of this topic
(407 words)
Picture of MARINA ORTEGA
#EMPTY THE TANKS: Whale captivity and why zoos are wrong
by MARINA ORTEGA - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 6:28 PM

"A world where every whale and dolphin is save and free"

Read for more. 

14 words
Picture of Udari Ayeshya Herath Mudiyanselage
The lost bridge! An untold story
by Udari Ayeshya Herath Mudiyanselage - Sunday, 16 December 2018, 5:32 PM

The story "lost bridge " contains my own experience on  one of remarkable but hidden place in Sri Lanka. The place called Adam's bridge is ecologically significant as it contains numerous marine ecosystems and marine organisms. The higher security and the belief on this place is a reason for good protection of the place. Hope you enjoy the reading!

58 words
Picture of Gizem Poffyn
A day in the life of a volunteer
by Gizem Poffyn - Saturday, 15 December 2018, 10:52 PM

A short story about a disgusting but fascinating discovery we did when volunteering in the Caribbean.

- My apologies for the bad quality, I took a screenshot of the word document, since I could not upload word nor pdf.

38 words

Picture of Paule-Emilie RUY
The zombie marine snails
by Paule-Emilie RUY - Saturday, 15 December 2018, 11:30 AM

Oh, oh, oh, I know that Christmas is coming, but if you prefer horror stories than fairytale stories, you should keep reading this dark letter. I advice the faint-hearted to continue their way.

/!\ Projection of the results of my master thesis /!\

41 words

Picture of Loïc Van Audenhaege
Don't farm bitcoin, farm coral!
by Loïc Van Audenhaege - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 6:22 PM

Better than watching television, having an aquarium can entertain you hours and hours. Being an aquarist is a passion necessitating patience, rigorousness and self-investment. So now imagine you, bringing a piece of the tropics into your house to shine the grey weather of Europe. What about ...

(449 words)

Picture of Thiviya Nair
Eco-Loco: Feeding The Body, Feeding the Soul
by Thiviya Nair - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 4:48 AM

It's about food waste and sustainability efforts in a remote island. Just read it, will you? :P

17 words

Picture of Uthesh Umapathy
Sharing life with plastics
by Uthesh Umapathy - Wednesday, 12 December 2018, 11:55 PM

Some inevitable thoughts about plastic and how far we polluted our earth. 

12 words
Picture of Md Royhanur Islam
How Much Do You Know About Hilsa? The National Fish of Bangladesh.
by Md Royhanur Islam - Thursday, 13 December 2018, 12:00 AM

How Much Do You Know About Hilsa?  The National Fish of Bangladesh. I am here to help you to know about Hilsa, our national pride!

The Indian shad, Tenualosa ilisha (Hamilton), popularly known as Hilsa, GI (Geographical indicator) product of Bangladesh, belonging to the Family Clupeidae. Hilsa ...

(638 words)
Picture of LIAM WYNS
Lubed Up
by LIAM WYNS - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 11:35 PM

Thoughts concerning sunscreen coming from a white european student spending time in Algarve during summer

15 words
Picture of Loup Païtard
Have a look at my crazy Bro Mako !
by Loup Païtard - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 11:24 AM

The story of my bro Mako.

“Some people have adventures … I am an adventure !” This is the last phrase I remember from Mako before he got taken away from me and his dream. So buckle up ladies and gentlemen’s and enjoy the lecture.

43 words
Picture of Natassia Mannina
Why are so important bird conservation projects?
by Natassia Mannina - Tuesday, 11 December 2018, 12:40 AM

We must understand that everything is connected by the ecosystem chain. Animals and organisms are connected to contribute to the environment system in a perfect synchrony and mutualism. Now a days, the anthropogenic impact on the animals and in the environment is heavy, threatening since the ...

(467 words)
Picture of Rochelle Yong
Phenomena
by Rochelle Yong - Monday, 10 December 2018, 7:38 PM

Phenomena give life, and inspire us in life, especially as aspiring scientists on Earth. To some, childbirth is a phenomenon that bring life on Earth, while to most, the Aurora is a rare beautiful phenomenon that can be witnessed more frequently in certain parts of the world; and to others, Paris...

(497 words)
Picture of Dominic Duncan Mensah
Why do our cell's power plants (mitochondria) have their own DNA?
by Dominic Duncan Mensah - Sunday, 9 December 2018, 4:12 PM

One of the biggest mysteries of cell biology is how mitochondria, an oval energy producing organ has its own DNA (MtDNA) and how they still kept this DNA considering the large size of DNA the cell itself has. Scientists think that mitochondria were once independent single-celled organisms until, ...

(494 words)

Picture of Leonardo Bertini
Climate Change is real. What now?
by Leonardo Bertini - Saturday, 8 December 2018, 8:50 PM

It is no news that we live in a society where flat-Earthers and those who genuinely believe dinosaurs did not exist still roam the Earth, despite all evidence from outer space pictures and fossil records. No wonder people are so suspicious about things they cannot see or experience within their ...

(502 words)

Picture of Thomas Riedinger
The importance of fish welfare.
by Thomas Riedinger - Saturday, 8 December 2018, 5:42 PM

Have you ever thought about how fish feel?

Personally, before being involved in a research project on the welfare of fish, I wasn’t really concerned about their emotions. But that changed, and I will tell you why.

Let me talk you through the procedure of how herring is fished and what a ...

(487 words)

Picture of Ignacio Polo Vaquero
Socialization in elasmobranchs
by Ignacio Polo Vaquero - Thursday, 6 December 2018, 12:57 PM

Sharks are nowadays trending topic, but why?

Here is the answer: they have been banished for long time, pop culture have seriously damaged their image as killer machines, with nothing else in their agenda but to kill people.

Wait, killer whales are also named killer because of one reason! Yes, ...

(574 words)

Picture of Lucinda Green
Problems of Hammerhead Shark Bycatch in the Pacific Sierra Fishery
by Lucinda Green - Tuesday, 4 December 2018, 6:33 PM

Sharks around the world are in grave danger; they are apex predators, controlling fish populations and maintaining healthy oceans. Ocean health, and therefore the health of the planet, are reliant on shark populations. The dangers that sharks face every single day have led to drastic decreases in...

(598 words)

Picture of Anisa Rilla Lubis
Biofloc System As the Potential Solution For Food Crisis in Indonesia
by Anisa Rilla Lubis - Saturday, 1 December 2018, 10:48 PM

Indonesia is always hit by deadly natural disasters every year. Earthquakes, volcano eruptions, forest fire, huge floods, tsunamis, as well as prolonged droughts in other regions are considered as the most frequent disasters occurred in this country. Let me take drought as an example. The ...

(786 words)

Picture of Ma. Angeline Lacson
REDUCING THE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT OF SALMON FARMING
by Ma. Angeline Lacson - Friday, 30 November 2018, 10:58 PM

When fish farmers first decided to rear their fish in coastal waters, they didn't stop to think about where the fish waste and uneaten feeds would go. “After all,” they must’ve felt, “the ocean is huge, and already full of fish waste anyway!” Both assumptions are true, but don’t have much weight ...

(320 words)

Picture of Shanna Vanblaere
test 1
by Shanna Vanblaere - Thursday, 25 October 2018, 1:25 PM

test 1

2 words