This course provides a general understanding of the concept of Ocean Literacy and the importance of the ocean. It aims to support participants to incorporate Ocean Literacy into their work and their day to day lives. It has been launched in the context of the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021 – 2030) and is proudly supported by the Government of Sweden. You can complete the course according to your time and availability (Note: course will remain available until December 2021).
We look forward to know more about your Ocean Literacy activities, so please use the Forum to introduce yourself and interact with other students!We look forward to know more about your Ocean Literacy activities, so please use the Forum to introduce yourself and interact with other students!
This section contains separate lessons on each of the 7 Essential Ocean Literacy Principles. Within each lesson you will find lectures, case-studies, videos, interactive activities and additional resources, as well as short quizzes.
Note: upon entering each lesson below, you can select the blue tabs 'next page' or 'previous page' to navigate through the resources. Upon completing each lesson, you will have the option to continue to the next Ocean Literacy Principle, with a link at the bottom of the page.
Ocean Literacy Principles and approaches should be adapted to geographical and cultural settings. Ocean Literacy initiatives can take several forms: they can be implemented by different sectors (e.g. formal education, media, government, private sector, etc.) and for different contexts. Ocean Literacy initiatives can focus on specific topics (for example, projects focused on reducing microplastic pollution) or on a comprehensive range of ocean issues (for example, transversally incorporating all Ocean Literacy Principles in classrooms).
This section presents:
This section introduces the role of Ocean Literacy in the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development. It includes:
- Ocean Literacy within diverse cultural contexts (short video)
- Ocean Literacy within multiple sectors (short video)
- Case-Studies showing a diverse approach to Ocean Literacy
1. UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (video and presentation)
2. Ocean Literacy Framework for the UN Decade (video and presentation)
3. Additional resourcesThank you for participating in this Ocean Literacy course. This section contains:
- Keynote address by Ambassador Peter Thomson
- Closing remarks
- Final survey on Ocean Literacy