Geospatial science provides vital information on the sustainable use of the coastal resource and planning. It an imperative use such techniques for managing densely populated coastal environs. This course provides an overview of GIS applications pertaining to coastal vulnerability and analysis. It will provide the basic GIS mapping techniques on storm surge vulnerability, and its socio-economic impact using open source GIS tools. Course also includes data acquisition, processing, analysis and interpretation of coastal spatial data. In addition, extensive hands on sessions will be conducted to use tools for preparation of thematic base maps for coastal vulnerability due to Tsunamis, Storm surges and their impact.
Aims and Objectives
- To Provide an introduction to GIS for marine applications
- Utilization of open source spatial data
- To provide hands on GIS applications pertaining to coastal vulnerability (Storm surges) using open source GIS tools
- Generation of Coastal Vulnerability and their socio-economic Impact map
- Knowledge on understanding of spatial data: raster and vector models
- Core tasks involved in the GIS analysis process including data acquisition, management, manipulation and analysis, and presentation and output
- Use of QGIS, GRASS tools and Plug-in tools
- Creating and editing spatial data
- Basic understanding of coastal and marine GIS data applications.
- R S Mahendra
- Prakash C Mohanty
- H Shivakumar
- Chandra Sekhar V
- Course Editor / Instructor: Udaya Bhaskar TVS