The IODE maintains a global network of National Oceanographic Data Centres (NODC) and Associate Data Units (ADU) responsible for the collection, quality control, archive and online publication of many millions of ocean observations. The concept of quality management has become increasingly significant for these centres to meet national and international competency standards for delivery of data products and services. The IODE Quality Management Framework encourages NODCs and ADUs to implement a quality management system which will lead to the accreditation.
This training workshop provides an introduction for NODCs and ADUs involved in the development, implementation and management of a Quality Management System which will assist in the adoption of comprehensive management practices and increased confidence in the quality of their data, products and services. The objectives are to:
- Introduce the IODE Quality Management Framework
- Introduce the ISO 9000 series of standards
- Provide a description of a Quality Management System
- Describe the importance of quality management for oceanographic data
- Describe the accreditation process for NODCs and ADUs
By the end of the course, learners should be able to:
- Understand the fundamental requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 international standard
- Identify situations and processes within their own organisations to be included in the quality management system
- Understand the requirements of the IODE accreditation process
This is a practical workshop. The participants will work in teams to complete exercises on each topic to reinforce learning and understanding of the requirements for a quality management system and the IODE accreditation for NODCs and ADUs.