The need for effective outreach is greater than ever given the present day competition for economic resources. This will be a highly practical course which looks at the techniques and technologies that libraries and information managers can use to develop and implement communications, marketing programs and create a solid baseline for measuring outreach strategies.
• Communicating with Management
- Emphasis on local standards, policies, protocol
- Draft convincing advocacy document for MIM program
• Communicating with the Public
- Implementation of a web and social media presence-class creation of an outreach video, individual creation of a blog or facebook page
• Public Speaking and Presentation Techniques in general
- Individual Creation of powerpoint or poster presentation on local topic
- Development of partnerships, collaborations, networks
- Planning outreach events, communication resources, training skills for colleagues
- Interview techniques
• Improved skills in using new technologies to communicate science and marine information
• Advanced oral and written presentation skills
• Improved collaboration skills within the organization and amongst marine professionals nationally and internationally
• Increased knowledge of resources available – forms, permissions, copyright, Rights management, protocols and policies.
7 - 11 November, 2011, Oostende, Belgium