The objectives and learning outcomes of this course are for students to be able to:
• Understand the fundamentals of ocean colour;
• Understand the principles for modelling primary production, for detecting phytoplankton size structure, Harmful Algal Blooms, and for estimating phytoplankton phenology;
• Conduct research with ocean-colour data for ecosystem state assessment, model validation, data assimilation and climate research;
• Plan requirements for large datasets processing, management and archiving;
• Apply tools and statistical methods for visualisation and analysis of ocean-colour data with their associated uncertainty.