This Course is organized by the Stazione Zoologica in cooperation with the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, and the IOC Science and Communication Centre on Harmful Algae.
APC 11 will cover morphology, taxonomy, and phylogeny of marine phytoplankton species. The aim is to increase and update the expertise of the students in the taxonomy and specific identification of diatoms, dinoflagellates, coccolithophores and other phytoflagellates, with emphasis on light microscopy and integrating molecular data and new approaches to the study of microalgae.
The programme will consist of lectures and practical sessions. During the latter, a diverse collection of preserved and live material will be offered for examination in light microscopy. Selected material will be observed in electron microscopy.
- methods and criteria for species identification - molecular and morphological phylogeny - specialized literature - toxic and harmful species - general and specific aspects of phytoplankton biodiversity and biogeography
• Federica Cerino (Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale, Trieste, Italy)
• Mona Hoppenrath (Forschungsinstitut Senckenberg, Wilhelmshaven, Germany)
• Wiebe H.C.F. Kooistra (Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy)
• Carina B. Lange (University of Concepción, Chile)
• Jacob Larsen (IOC Science and Communication Centre on Harmful Algae)
• Nina Lundholm (Natural History Museum, University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
• Øjvind Moestrup (Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark)
• Marina Montresor (Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy)
• Ian Probert (Station Biologique, Roscoff, France)
• Diana Sarno (Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy)
• Karen Steidinger (University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, FL, USA)
• Carmelo R. Tomas (University of North Carolina at Wilmington, NC, USA)
• Adriana Zingone (Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Naples, Italy)