This course provides an in depth overview of the application of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to the marine environment using ArcGIS.
Aims and Objectives:
- Provide an introduction to GIS for marine applications
- Focus on some publicly available marine datasets
- Show the potential applications of GIS for the marine environment
- Knowledge and understanding of GIS, spatial data, raster and vector models
- Core tasks involved in the GIS analysis process including data acquisition, management, manipulation and analysis, and presentation and output
- Core functionality of ArcMap, Arc Catalogue and Arc Toolbox
- Creating and editing spatial data
- Appreciation of coastal and marine GIS data applications
El curso ofrece una introducción para los gestores de datos marinos aplicando el Sistema de Información Geográfica (SIG) en el medio marino utilizando el software ArcGIS. Esto incluye la adquisición, procesamiento, análisis e interpretación de los datos y en la creación de productos para apoyar los programas marinos y costeros.
The concept of quality management has become increasingly significant for many National Oceanographic Data Centres to meet national and international competency standards for delivery of data products and services. The IODE is developing a Quality Management Framework for NODCs that includes the implementation of technical standards and quality management systems which will lead to the accreditation of NODCs.
This training workshop provides an introduction for NODCs and ADUs involved in the development, implementation and management of a Quality Management System which will assist in the adoption of comprehensive management practices and increased confidence in the quality of their data, products and services.
This is a practical workshop. The participants will work in teams to complete workshop exercises on each topic to reinforce learning and understanding of the requirements for a quality management system and the IODE accreditation for NODCs.
- Course Editor / Instructor: Greg Reed